Sunday, July 15, 2012

Weekend Pig-out

This weekend I was at a LEMI training in Salt Lake City. While I was there I was not as diligent in food combining or food choices as I usually am. I wanted to have fun in every way possible while I was on this mini-vacation, and I figured all of my food rules should go out the window for a time.
For breakfast I had fruit. Even without rules, this is what my body wants in the the morning. It is more than a habit because my body just feels better when I treat it that way.
Lunch was pita sandwiches with hummus, cucumbers, tomatoes,lettuce, red onions, avocado, and lime juice.
Those parts of my day were easy to make good decisions on. They are what I eat normally and what make my body feel the best. It was dinner that threw me for a loop. It varied between hamburgers(bun and meat don't food combine well) and fries cooked in unhealthy oils, to deli baked potatoes( with intestine clogging cheese and sour cream) and white pasta that acts like glue in the intestines,and it did not include  any veggies. It didn't stop there I am afraid. I also had ice cream, cookies and hard candies. One night a kind man we were staying with was making a green smoothie for himself while my friend and I were eating the deli food we had just bought. I told him that under normal circumstances I would have had food more along the lines of what he was having. He then poured me a glass of his smoothie that was full of veggies and fruit. I drank it, wondering how it would work on my belly that was digesting starches at the time. Within a half hour of having the fruit with the starches my belly was in a turmoil. It was still rumbling and having problems when I woke up the next morning. Note to self: when you know about food combining, USE the knowledge! :)
I got home at 5 am today. I was awake for 22 hours - it was a long day but so worth the mentor training I was a part of.  When I weighed myself after my adventurous 3 day weekend I had gained 5 pounds!!!  Most of that weight will come off easily when my digestion goes back to normal. I did get an insight into what others must go through who don't know about food combining and eating whole foods. Even eating well for breakfast and lunch didn't save me from the weight gain and digestive issues that the crazy evening foods gave me. I entered into the decision to eat whatever tempted me, knowing that there would be a consequence. I am heavier and my digestion is slow, but I do have a resolve to go back to my whole foods ways because I know that I will feel better. Once in a while this sort of lesson is good for me. It reminds me of why I do what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment