Saturday, August 18, 2012

A toad in my bed

I was going to sleep in until 7 this morning because I got in late last night and was anticipating an extremely busy day today. I did not get to sleep in though, and here is the reason why.

At 6 this morning I was hearing rustling sounds in my room and wondered if a kitty had spent the night. I dozed back off but a few minutes later woke again to rustling sounds. Then, I heard a flop on my mattress. My bed is a mattress on a plywood floor by the way.  I opened my eyes and there was a toad right next to my pillow, looking into my eyes. I didn't scream. :)

I guess that is what happens when you have 5 boys and move to a place where toads abound. The poem about "snakes and snails and puppy dog tails, that's what little boys are made of" is totally true!  My life has been inundated with snakes, toads, and puppies(we have a stray at the farm this week). It wasn't like that when I grew up with sisters! My brother at the tail end of the group did prepare me minimally to what 5 boys are capable of.

So, waking to a toad inches from my face woke me up completely. Honestly the most disturbing thing about the whole situation was that I knew I was going to have to get the thing outside by myself! Three of the boys are in Cheyenne helping with the move, and the youngest two are at a friends house. I have gotten away without touching a toad for so long because I usually have a willing boy with me. Not so this morning. It took a few minutes of steeling myself for it, and a few false starts but I was able to muster the courage and picked her up. She was cold. I had told myself to prepare for slime and wiggling and was not prepared for cold. Eew. I kept hold and walked her downstairs and quickly but not harshly let her onto the ground. Then, even quicker, I ran to the sink and washed with plenty of soap.

Isn't this aweful!!?? How can I be a farmer if I don't like toads? I guess it's not that I don't like them.  They are very valuable in the garden because they eat insects, but I just don't want to have to touch them. I am glad I usually have  boys around to take care of me. :) One of those boys (I'm pretty sure I know which one) is getting a 'talking to' next time I see him....

I had to look up on the internet if this was a frog or a toad. It was a western toad (Anaxyrus boreas).  
It had bumpy skin so I read that it was a female. That helped me connect with it a little but not enough to want to go through this again. I can totally picture the smile that my happy-go-lucky toad-planting 8 year old is going to give me when he hears about this.

6 comments:

  1. Elisa, you had me in tears this morning! Well.....tears of laughter. This post cracked me UP! Thanks for writting this up....and I'm so proud of you for not screaming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. :) I know you would have been much braver that I was! I'm glad to have started your morning off with a smile. :)

      Delete
  2. Uncle Tom and I had them in the window wells when we were little in reat Falls! In the Winter they would dig in and make crumbly piles of dirt where they were, and hibernate. In the Spring they reappeared! I loved me some toady friends. The only part that I didn't like was when Tom fed them...big juicy grasshoppers. Yuk! I only remember seeing that ONCE! Gross...aauugghhh still in my memory bank! Anyway, they are nice and dry (although cold-blooded), and a good part of my childhood!(In my room near my newly-awake face, not so much.) You have done something hard today! Now you can just glide through the day. I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first funny story about living on a farm! :) lol, I don't know how you mustered the courage to get it out, I would have thrown up first, haha I hope you print your blog out into a book someday, so you have a fun farm book/journal. Good job on being so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love toads, and they are quite nice. If it were a frog you might have had a hard time catching it. Others might think this funny but you know your mothers nick name is Toad. So thank your little boy for the joy he brought to you. Remembering your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious, Elisa, I seriously laughed out loud! I had a feeling that Luke would be the culprit, too :)
    Yes, it's true I used to be a toad-lover, but I think the cold feeling got creepier the older I got!

    ReplyDelete