Friday, May 4, 2012

Kids 'Eat Any Time' LIst

I like to have my ingredients handy when I make dinner. Sometimes a kid will eat something, not tell me, then when I make dinner I am missing a key ingredient! Argh! 

I am a big fan of lists, so of course I have a list that solves this problem. At the top of this list is a header that reads, "Eat Any Time". That is just what it is. If a kid, or whoever, is hungry between meals then they can have something from the list. I do not snack, but I let the kids choose that for themselves. I love giving the kids choices that aren't huge but make them feel like they have some control over themselves.

First I make sure that breakfast, lunch, and dinner are packed full of fruit, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds. Then I don't have to feel bad about what they might have between meals. Everything on my list is not high end nutrition but moderation in all things is one of my motto's.

So, here it is.


Eat Any Time 

Lettuce
Potatoes (I keep baked ones in the fridge, individually wrapped in tin foil)
Carrots
Celery
Frozen Burritos
Canned Chili
Oatmeal 
Leftovers
1/4 cup nuts a day
Bread (My 14 year old son bakes this)
Bananas
1/4 cup raisins a day 
1 smoothie a day
Garden veggies
Apples
Canned Beans
Frozen Peas

Smoothie Ingredients available any time:
Strawberries
Frozen Mixed Fruit
Tablespoon flax
Almond milk (kid has to make it)
Tablespoon a day of honey
Apples
Protein Powder
Greens
Vanilla
Cinnamon

Sometimes I will have a tray of veggies on the counter with hummus to dip them in. Usually that is the first thing they go for when they get hungry. I like to have mushrooms, celery, green beans, snow peas, carrots, sliced peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions, radishes, avocados, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. 

Happy Healthy,
Elisa



No comments:

Post a Comment