Friday, February 10, 2012

Hummus

We have been enjoying  a lot of hummus lately. Cucumbers dipped in hummus, hummus slathered on bread with tomatoes and cucumbers, chips dipped in hummus, and green peppers filled with hummus.
Sometimes I buy it, but I like to have it home made best. The flavor is best when homemade in my opinion and I can have quality control. Here is my recipe.


First I soak the beans overnight for increased nutrition and easier digestion.
Then, I let them simmer on the stove for a couple of hours until they are soft. I have tried making hummus with raw sprouted garbanzo beans but it turned out really grainy. I am going to try sprouting them for longer next time and low heat them and see how that goes.

When they are soft I add a couple cups of the sprouted beans and water to cover them into the blender. I blend them thoroughly and add about a Tablespoon of lemon juice, a Tablespoon of tahini, and a couple teaspoons of  Vegesal . I then add garbanzo beans until it blends into the right consistency. Voila! Hummus!

There are all kinds of things you can add to the hummus for different flavors like roasted red peppers or garlic. That's the beauty of home made. You tailor it to what you like!

Happy Healthy, Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment