Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sprouted Grain Biscuits (flourless)

I have been learning how to make biscuits from sprouted grain and it's so simple! I have tried several different kinds of grains now and have had measured success with all of them.

Sometimes I have to add flour to get it to the right consistency but it all works out in the end and we get to have biscuits that more healthy than I could achieve any other way!

I start out with sprouting 2 cups of grain for a couple of days until I see a sprout forming. (cover the grain with water for 12 hours, then rinse a couple times a day and keep moist but not covered with water for a couple of days)

When the grain is sprouted I put it in a food processor and process it for about 5 to 6 minutes until it forms a ball. Then I add 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 teaspoons baking soda, and 1 teaspoon sea salt. I process it for another minute, then roll out the dough, cut it with a biscuit cutter, put them on a greased cookie sheet in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and voila! Sprouted grain bisquits. Could you get much easier? Well, I do have some tricks that  change the recipe a bit and don't make round bisquits, so if you don't mind imperfection then check out these tips:

1. If I add water to the food processer at the beginning of blending it goes way smoother. This means I have to add some flour at the end to make the dough the right consistancy, but it is easier in the long run.
2. Instead of cutting out the biscuit shapes I have been just covering a greased cookie sheet with the dough and baking it for 30 minutes. When it's done and cooled I cut it into squares. So easy.

Happy Healthy,
Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment