Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Buttery Beets

I have fallen in love with beets again this year! The ones coming from my garden are heirloom, organic Detroit Dark Red and Chiogga. The Chiogga ones look like a bulls eye. So cool. Together they make a beautiful delicious pair. 

The first time I saw the beets were ready to start harvesting, I brought a bunch home and cooked them in a simple but very satisfying way. I didn't bring home nearly enough, so we each only got to sample them. I will be cooking them like this again, that is for sure.

First, clean and peel your beets. Then slice them to about 1/4 inch per slice.

Put the beets in a frying pan with butter! Isn't it sounding divine already!!?

Fry the beets until they are starting to brown, then put about 1/4 cup of water in the pan and top with a lid.

 Let the beets simmer/steam until they are soft.

Sprinkle with some sea salt or salt replacer and dish up.

Chances are you will want more than you made, so be prepared to do it again. :)

Happy Healthy,
Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment