Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Today's harvest soup

Today's lunch and dinner is soup from the garden. I am opting to cook once a day in large portions rather than spending my precious time in the kitchen all day. These veggies were all given to me from other people's gardens. I had to leave my garden in Cheyenne to the people who are renting my house so I am missing out on the fall harvest. I am bringing things in from the garden I planted a month ago, just none of these things!

The flavor of this soup came from a pound of breakfast sausage I had. I am still not buying groceries (It has been a month and a half now), so I am using what I have. The pot I used was a 10 quart one, so you can imagine how spread out the meat is. My bowl had one piece! :)

I sauteed the meat and onions together, then added some chopped garlic cloves. To that I added a bunch of water and then started throwing in the chopped veggies. I even put in oatmeal that was left over from breakfast and some leftover chili.  The veggies I added you can see in the picture are squash, potatoes, beets, tomatoes, more squash, and garlic.  The spices I added were Italian seasoning and Herbamare.

This soup turned out way yummy. Next time I would put in less water though. The water in the veggies add extra water to what I already put in. I served this soup with rice that I cooked in butter, salt and garlic. A healthier version would be to use coconut oil or olive oil instead of the butter.

Happy Healthy,
Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment